Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dear Starbucks Guy, good job.

A few weeks ago, I was able to 'get away' on a Saturday morning to Starbucks.
I ordered my drink: low fat white chocolate mocha, no whip, for those who care.
I found the perfect table in the corner.
When I entered I had noticed a college age guy sitting a table reading his Bible. I was encouraged seeing a young guy reading his Bible.  I get my drink and have a seat facing the door and the rest of the store.  After about 10 minutes an older guy comes in and its apparent that they are going to meet over coffee.  I noticed because 1. the store was small and 2. their voices carried.  I'm TOTALLY ease-dropping, but its hard not to because of the 2 reasons already mentioned.  I get the idea that they don't really know each other, but I thought, 'Cool, maybe they are meeting to start some Bible study or something'.

Well, not quite.
They chit chat for a few minutes about 'this and that' and then the guy, I deduced is a Dad, asks the college guy why he wanted to meet.
The college guy proceeds to ask the Dad if he can date his daughter, Justine!  
I WAS SO ENTHRALLED!!!!!!!
I DEFINITELY CONTINUED TO EASE-DROP, HOW COULD YOU NOT!
They continued to discuss the guy dating this dad's daughter.  The dad asked some good questions and so did the college guy.  My favorite was the college guy asking the dad, "What would it look like to you for me to date your daughter?"!!!!!!
The dad gave his permission and they continued to discussed dating and marriage.

I had to leave, but I left SO ENCOURAGED!
This scene is not unfamiliar to me or Neil or many of our friends.
This kind of interaction is practiced in our church and very much encouraged.
Neil called my dad when we started dating to get his permission and to communicate he wasn't dating me flippantly.  It really impressed, and confused, my dad.
I was so encouraged to see another young guy seek to be upfront and communicate with the dad of the girl he is interested in.  I would want and expect the same for any guy who would want to date Natalie.
I wanted so much to go over and commend both men, but I thought that would be creepy and give away that I was ease-dropping, but like I said I could help but overhear.
I also couldn't help walk away excited for and praying for this young man who gets to pursue a young girl he thinks he would like to marry.
Justine, if you read this (which you won't of course) I hope you said yes to this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment