Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Mothers

Sunday is Mother's Day and I want to write about my three mothers, so I will.

My Momma:


Isn't she was beautiful? She died 3 1/2 years ago from cancer. I can't believe it's been three years. It seems so long and short at the same time. I really miss her and have really been missing her lately. Probably because its Mother's Day. I think this is the first Mother's Day (and year) that I've really missed her and realized she's gone. Probably because I'm not so busy anymore and there is time to think about her or realize I am thinking about her. I picked these pictures of her because I really like them. The first is of my parents on their wedding day. They look so happy and I love that my dad is wearing a white tux with a ruffly shirt and bow-tie, he is the man! I like my mom's dress. I like the lace and the cameo, very Victorian. The next picture is probably when I was five. I like that she is wearing two shades of purple, it was her favorite color. And her hair is in really tight curls, I remember when her hair was like that. I don't think she had a perm, it was just like that. The third picture is from my freshman year of college, a year before she got sick. I know this because of the necklace I have on in the picture. I like this picture because I think my mom looks really dignified and sophisticated. I found some journals of hers when I was cleaning out two trunks my dad gave me recently. They are from when she was first sick. I had forgotten all about them. I want to read them. I know they will probably cause me to relive all the cancer again, but I think it might be good. I want to know her thoughts from that time. Its like I will really get to share that time with her again. Learn more about what was happening because I was away at school most of the time and I didn't really know all the facts (and in shock). Which I think was God's grace for me at the time.
I'm really thankful for my mom, she was a really great mom. She loved me and supported me. She enjoyed spending time with me. She taught me how to be independent and she listened to me. She sacrificed for me. I like looking at these pictures of her so I do. I don't like looking at the pictures of her being sick, so I don't. I wish so much that she could be alive and see my life now. I wish that she could know Neil, I think she would really like him. I wish I could talk to her and get her advice on recipes or how to clean well. I wish that I could get to tell her one day (not now) that I'm pregnant(I'm NOT now, just making it clear) because she would have been a good grandmother. I just miss her.

My Step-Mother:
I really like my step-mom and I'm VERY thankful for her! I don't really think of her as a "step-mom". She's Jackie and I like her. I wasn't a fan of her at first. Well, it wasn't anything about her-i liked her, I just didn't like the "idea" of a step-mom. But I like her. She has been a blessing for both my dad and me. She's a really good wife for my dad because she enjoys doing things. They go do things together, especially play golf. She has been nothing but loving, supportive, and kind to me. She calls me 'my dear' whenever she first talks to me or sees me and I really like it! "Hello, my dear!" She treats me as her own daughter which is really nice. I enjoy being with her and learning from her.

My Mother-in-law:
I am SO thankful for my mother-in-law. She is an answered prayer and a wonderful blessing. I forget that I'm "just a daughter-in-law" at times because I feel so much like one of her own. People even say we look alike! (Which is kind of weird since i married her son. Does that mean Neil and I look alike? I don't think so.) It has been so fun to get to know her and learn from her. Those things I wish I could ask my mom now, I can ask her. She is a great example of a godly woman and she loves her family so well. She's a GREAT cook, serves the socks off her family, has home schooled all 5 of her kids, sews, and serves at their church. She has been really encouraging to me since Neil and I have been married. She has 'stayed at home' since she got married to Neil's dad. It's been helpful to hear her experiences from that time. She is realistic about some of Neil's 'quirks' and it has been fun to laugh with her about them. We talk on the phone at least once a week and have been since Neil and I have been engaged. Its such a blessing to have her as a mother-in-law, this little blurb doesn't do her justice.

I'm so thankful and am so blessed to have these three women in my life as mothers to me of some sort. They each are God's gifts to me of grace to teach me how to be a woman, wife, and servant of God. I just wanted to share them with you. That's all.

Happy Mother's Day~

1 comment:

  1. I thought you about you yesterday and wanted to write a comment before the day was over but... I can't believe your mom has been gone for 3 1/2 years! That wedding picture is too cute! I can tell when they got married. The little picture of you is too cute, too! I love it! I'm sure you miss your mom a lot sometimes.

    I am so glad that you have a great stepmother and mother-in-law, though! I know how valuable it is to have the wisdom of an older woman who has been through this stage of life. I'm glad that you can have that gift!

    P.S. I also like when people call me things like "dear" or other related names.. It's sweet!! :)

    ReplyDelete