Monday, March 28, 2011

OH MY VEGGIE POT PIE

I made this recipe Saturday night and it was AH-MAZING so I decided to share! We couldn't wait to dig in so the picture was taken after dinner. Sorry about the bad lighting in most of my pictures, its those energy saving bulbs again... Anyway, I thinkI got the recipe off of Keeper of the Home's blog so she is who I'm going to credit for it. Neil immediately said this recipe was a keeper. I didn't add chicken to it this time, but I think next time I will so it can be a solo meal. It really isn't hard and I thought it was fun to make it because it looked so complicated, but it's not! Just some chopped veggies and some chicken broth! The sweet potato biscuit crust is SSSSOOO GOOOD. It made me want to just make sweet potato biscuits and I don't really like sweet potatoes! Here is the recipe and I hope you enjoy!!!!!

(I call it Oh My Veggie Pot Pie because that is what I said when I took my first bite! Oh My!)

Piled-high Veggie Potpie

(Don't be intimidated by the fairly long list of ingredients- it's really quite easy, and because it's so hearty and full of veggies, you don't need to make much else to go with it!)

Filling:
1 cup each chopped onions and chopped red bell pepper (I've used celery instead)
2 cloves garlic, minced (more is good, too)
2 1/2 cups veggie or chicken broth (I use homemade chicken broth)
2 cups peeled, cubed potatoes (I don't peel mine, just wash them well)
1 cup sliced carrots
1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary (I've also used Italian herb mix- oregano, basil, rosemary)
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
1 cup sliced asparagus pieces or sliced green beans
1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed (frozen corn works also)
3 Tbsp flour (any kind is fine)
1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley
However much cooked chicken you have- it can be 1/2 cup or several cups- both taste fine, and it's still a filling meal either way!

Biscuit Crust:
1 1/2 cups flour (again, whatever you usually use- I use spelt)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp butter, softened
3/4 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes (very easy- I take a large one and peel it, and toss it in a small pot with boiling water before I start making the filling- once it's done, I drain the water, leave it in the pot and use a fork to quickly mash it)
3/4 cup milk, plus extra for brushing top of crust (oops, I usually forget to brush the crust)

1) Add some butter to a med. sized pot. Saute onions, pepper (or celery) and garlic, until softened.

2) Add 2 cups of the broth (save 1/2 cup for later), potatoes, carrots, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes. Stir in asparagus and peas. Cook 3 more minutes.

3) In a small bowl, mix 3 Tbsp flour with remaining 1/2 cup of broth until smooth. Add to mixture, and cook until bubbly and thickened. Stir in parsley. Transfer to a casserole dish.

4) During the 12 minutes (see #2), I make my crust. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk sweet potato mash and milk together, then add to flour mixture. Stir until a soft ball forms. Personally, I find it a bit too gooey to roll out (although that's what the recipe says to do), so I just form it with my hands and lay it in pieces on top of the casserole. You could also add a bit more flour to make it easier to roll out. Brush with milk.

  1. Bake for 20 minutes (I baked it at 350), until crust is golden and somewhat puffed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment